Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beyond the Mountain


I don't remember much of the actual climb, but I remember sitting at the top.  The view was beyond spectacular.  The group that I had climbed the mountain with were all on a static high.  They were excited and giddy while I was quieted and withdrawn.  I couldn't understand their excitement for when we reached the peak, it didn't seem like a big deal.  I remember thinking, "This is it?"

What took my breath away was the view.  Mountain peaks in every direction for as far as the eye could see.  It was the highest vantage point I'd ever been at and the largest scope I'd ever seen of the world.  Surrounded for miles by this mountain range, I was comforted in the silent hope that I wasn't alone. 

Reaching the summit had meant little, it was the glimpse of the beyond that stilled my soul with the faith that there was more to my life than what I could see and still carries me through until this day.   

2 comments:

Natalie said...

This is so beautiful and poignant...so glad you have that breathtaking memory to carry you through.

midnight rainbow said...

Thanks Natalie, so I am. :)